Help Desk Support Policy
The purpose of this policy is to ensure that:
- The Health Sciences Center community is informed about the applicability of policies with regard to the HSC IT Support Services division, and that support services are used in compliance with these policies and laws.
- Users of the HSC IT Support Services are informed about confidentiality, privacy, and security applicable to these services.
- Disruptions to HSC IT Support Services are minimized.
This policy applies to all West Virginia University Health Sciences Center staff, faculty, administrators, officers and students (collectively, “users”), including those on the regional campuses and Extended Learning sites.
- HSC IT Support Services are University resources and are intended to be used for teaching, research, service, and administration in support of the University’s mission.
- Faculty, staff, and other authorized persons who are affiliated with the University may use Help Desk services when engaging in activities related to their roles in the University.
- Help Desk services are provided to students who require assistance in using or accessing HSC resources as well as those who require assistance with network connectivity.
- Access to the HSC Help Desk is a valuable tool and is a privilege with certain accompanying responsibilities. The same standards of conduct that are expected of students, faculty, and staff regarding the use of other University facilities, services, and resources apply to the use of HSC Help Desk services.
- HSC Help Desk services may not be used for personal purposes or personally owned devices (computers, tablets, phones, etc.)
Confidentiality and Security
- HSC IT Services protects the security of all information. Any electronic information gathered in the attempt to meet customer support needs is protected by security practices.
Help Desk Services Provided
- Desk-Side PC Support
- Telephone-based PC Support
- HSC Network Support
- Classroom and Office Connectivity
- Hardware Repair
- HSC Related Software Application Support
Contacting the HSC ITS Help Desk
- An end user’s first point of contact should be the departmental Computer Support Contact “CSC”. If the CSC cannot resolve the issue they should then contact the Help Desk.
- All ITS Departments including the Help Desk can be reached by telephone at: 304-293-3631
- Additionally you may mail the Help Desk.
- For “walk-in” service please come to room 2356 HSS
Supported Operating Systems
- Windows 7, 8.1, 10 Enterprise
- Macintosh OS X El Capitan and Yosemite.
- Unix, Linux, all other operating systems, and previous versions of Windows and Macintosh operating systems will be considered a “best effort” support situation and are not fully supported.
Cellular Mobile Devices, Smartphones, Tablets
- All cellular mobile devices and tablets must comply with HSC ITS standards for Encryption and password requirements.
- Supported OS for mobile devices:
- iPhone 4S and up/iPad 2 and up
- Android devices version 4.4 and up
- Windows phone 8 and up
- Smartphones and tablets are supported by our staff to the best of our abilities. With the wide variety of handhelds and synchronization software on the market we will provide “best effort” support for these devices.
Personally Owned Computers and Equipment
- Please be advised that personally owned devices such as laptops/smartphones/iPads/tablets, including those purchased with professional development funds, cannot be used to store PHI, FERPA, and other confidential information and cannot be connected to the HSC’s internal network (HS domain). Due to software licensing restrictions and related liability considerations, HSC Help Desk support for personally owned devices will be a best effort and support restricted to email setup, two-factor authentication setup, Wi-Fi connectivity and Citrix software installation assistance only.
- Password changes will be made through the WV Login website only. If further assistance is needed, please contact the helpdesk regarding any questions or technical difficulties.
Backing Up Data
- It is the user’s responsibility to backup any data on equipment before our staff works on it.
- We will advise users in the best way to backup their data.
- We will not assist in the backup of MP3’s / Music Files, Movies, etc.
- Our staff is not responsible for any lost data on equipment.
Antivirus / Spyware Protection
- Only Kaspersky Endpoint Security is supported by our staff.
- Kaspersky Endpoint Security is licensed by WVU and will be installed by our staff on any computer that does not currently have it installed.
- Users should upgrade to the latest version of Kaspersky via the downloads page.
Bittorrent, Limewire, Kazaa, Bearshare, etc.
Illegally file sharing copyrighted material is not allowed on the WVU or HSC campus networks.
- If file sharing software is found to be an issue while working on a user’s computer it will be removed by our staff.
- If any software is found to be causing the problem on the computer or known to be Spyware, Adware, or Malware, it will be removed by our staff.